Tuesday 6 May 2008

Tallest prominence i've ever seen !!!

The cloud finally parted at 18.15 GMT after taunting me all day with observation potential by brightening occasionally. I slapped the 10mm eyepiece in the PST and could not believe what I was seeing. On the south limb was the tallest prominence I have seen since I started observing. It arced gracefully over the limb with a slight twist at the base and two other proms either side. With cloud closing in again I hastily captured some afocal images at 1/5 sec or less to get some detail on the prom. According to the good folks on the Cloudy Nights Solar Forum...................... http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2372807/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1 this prom started off as an inconspicuous short prom and developed rapidly, doubling its length in 30 minutes then extending and fading between 16.00 and 20.00 GMT. I feel really lucky to have seen such a spectacular event.


No comments: