Sunday 6 April 2008

Huge connecting arch between proms 6-4-08 9.50UT

Fighting against a high milky cloud layer this morning after heavy snowfall here in Wales. The cloud layer is giving me some awful colour casts to process out of the images. At 9.50 UT there was a huge arch of plasma linking the two main proms on the south west limb. It appears to be slowly breaking up now but was very impressive in the 9mm eyepiece. The first image below is unprocessed to show the faint linking arch (arrowed) - as soon as I run Curves in CS2 this arch vanishes. The image at the bottom is processed to bring out the detail in the main proms, but you can still make a bit of the linking arch out above them.



Later on at 12.08UT I experimented with Gill's Canon Powershot A80 to see if I could get a sharper full disk image. At 1/15 - 1/20 sec at ISO 50 on full auto it was taking some great shots after I had got used to the menus. Here is one of the best............

No comments: